Monday, January 31, 2011

Alvin Ailey Revelations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJzSP7irwM

In light of the reading for this week, I thought I'd post a video of Alvin Ailey's company performance of Revelations. I find it interesting that the dancers have been technically trained, and obviously use formal ballet steps, they also use a lot of emotion in their dances. While the two styles are completely different, I can feel a similar emotion between krumping and this style of dance. I notice a similarity in facial development, where dancers are completely expressing themselves in their faces, between these two dances as well. All in all, I thought it was a very interesting dance to watch, as it obviously combines cultural and emotional moments into the dance. Do you see any similarities of this dance with other ones we've looked at?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the video! While reading the article, I imagined the moves and how they were performed but seeing it makes it even more incredible. The choreography is obviously very demanding and really shows the strength of these dancers. Some of the moves can definitely be categorized as advance ballet steps.
    I also see similarities between krumping and this style of dance. Both of these dance styles tell a story in a way. Both krumping and Revelations is about expressing and fighting oppression through dance. I find both of these dance styles to be filled with emotion and expression. These dance styles did a good job in expressing the hardships of slavery, oppression and poverty through movement and personal expression. I found these dance styles to be very powerful. It was definitely interesting to see and learn about.

    ReplyDelete