Monday, January 24, 2011

Get Ready to Krump

Tomorrow in class I will present the article: The Multiringed Cosmos of Krumping By Christina Zanfagna. Before reading the article, I had little knowledge of Krumping past the routines I saw on So You Think You Can Dance. After reading the article, I learned that Krumping has much more meaning than I ever expected. The dancers who Krump dance with a purpose and it allows them to escape reality for a second. In addition, Krumping tells a story, challenges dancers, and creates contained battles between crews. I will teach you all this and more tomorrow, but in the meantime, I thought I would share a little Krumping preview with you: Check out this video from SYTYCD!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6THP9YHh6Q

What is your reaction to the dancing you see in this video? What emotions are the dancers expressing?

Thanks!

Alex

2 comments:

  1. Before your presentation, I had also only seen Krumping on So You Think You Can Dance. I knew it was a form of hip hop, but I was never very engaged with the performances because of the rough, hard-hitting style. After reading the article about the history of B-boys and listening to your presentation, I have a better understanding and appreciation for Krumping. The two dancers were definitely battling each other, dancing one at a time and challenging each other through their moves. They definitely hit hard and are very focused while performing. I think Krumping is a great way for people to express themselves and their rough, real emotions in a nonviolent way; it is a way to battle and "fight" without being physical. While it still isn't my favorite form of dance, I definitely have a greater appreciation for it now that I am aware of its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that I partly agree and disagree w/you, Karen. Though the dance moves are very sharp, rough, and hard-hitting, it does not seem that the two are battling each other, but more so complimenting each other and a lot of times, dancing in sync. Then again, this may be because it is a televised dance competition, and therefore, very rehearsed. There are a couple instances where they react to each other's moves, but overall, it was a really neat, "in sync battle," I guess you could say. I liked how the dancers in the clip incorporated both hip hop and a bit of break dance in their routine. I do agree that it is a great way for dancers to express their feelings and emotions, good or bad. It is a nonviolent way of letting out stress. While the dancers in the clip are very focused and forceful with their moves, I felt that they were radiating a sense of joy, freedom, and individualism during the routine. Even though the dancers danced in sync a lot of the time and were doing similar moves throughout the clip, you can obviously see the stylistic differences that each individual person inherits and incorporates into his dance style. I think this is why hip hop, b-boying, krumping, breakdancing, etc. are all so unique: they may be related and evolve from each other, but each dancer really has a chance to make it his/her own by incorporating his/her own style, personality, values, characteristics, and so on.

    ReplyDelete