Tuesday, February 15, 2011

3d dance film

I came across this very interesting article about a new film being made about dance. It will be in 3d. The premise got me thinking. Will a 3d dance film bring a new sensory experience to the old school dance films like dirty dancing or save the last dance. Will this extra element make that audience feel like they are there actually experiencing the numbers? I think that the extra 3d aspect could indeed bring the audience to the theater. Make them feel as if they are actually attending a dance show. Normally, I don't know how I feel about 3d movies with things flying off the screen. But, used as an art form I think the 3d could definitely work to enhance the film and bring people closer to dance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/15/us-film-pina-idUSTRE71E0OR20110215

2 comments:

  1. I think this could be a cool concept, however I would hate to loose the authenticity in the dances by making it 3D. I know that in real live performances, we see in 3D. Despite this, in the movies it never feels as real to me. I fear that the movies will not turn out like the Dirty Dancing classics but instead a cheap looking alternative that focuses more on special effects and has a music video feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wonder if the 3D format causes choreographers to create different dances than they would otherwise, just to take advantage of the 3D format. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, of course. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete