Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dance and Sports

I found this clip of a flash mob dance at a Kansas basketball game. I am a big college basketball fan and I just thought this clip was funny and amazing at the same time. The article says that the group of students only practiced for a total of 2 hours before the game on Monday night and performed it to promote looking out for friends when drinking. Even the coach was dancing by the end. Besides that the message is a great idea, the fact that the school got together enough students to make this work is pretty impressive and everything they're doing is from their seats. They even have a clothing change! It just shows how dance is so ingrained in our culture that it is being used at big-time college basketball game for entertainment and for a cause.


http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/22766/kansas-game-features-flash-mob-dance

3 comments:

  1. I think this is especially interesting, from an advertising standpoint, that dance is being used not only for entertainment purposes. The potential to use dance to promote something, specifically a cause or public service, is huge and something I think could become popular in years to come. On a side note, I love flash mobs, so I thought this was awesome! The idea that people can come together spontaneously, especially this group who only learned it in 2 hours, is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you that this was very cool and well done. Not only can dance be entertaining, but it can promote good causes and bring people together. Having a flash mob at a basketball game works well because there are so many people there. Since students camp out or get to games really early, it is an easy venue to reach hundreds of students to participate, promote school spirit, and reach out to thousands of people. Personally, I want to participate in a flash mob because I think it would be a really fun opportunity, so maybe it will happen in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. Dance can definitely serve many purposes and it absolutely can promote good causes. I think this was a tremendous marketing/advertising ploy. I also think it was a really great idea to bring the school together. Also, I think the idea of flash mobs is just so interesting.

    ReplyDelete