Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hula in commercials

After watching the film on Thursday, I wondered how much a part of the American culture that hula has become. I searched to see how hula was incorporated in commercial advertisements. I found the one below, and realized we never discussed in class the advent of the hula bobble head car toy, a mainstay for many people that made the hula and Hawaiian culture not only accessible, but stereotyped the culture itself. What do you think of this commercialization of this culture? Have you noticed any other pieces of Hawaiian culture in our everyday that we don't always recognize as Hawaiian, but truly are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbYw5AlqiHg

2 comments:

  1. It's funny you mention this. I actually was thinking of the dashboard Hula girl when we were asked about our familiarity with hula. Sad but true.
    I think the commercialization of the product did nothing for the Hawaiian culture. If anything, I think it's slightly insulting and kind of objectifies both the Hawaiian culture and female hula dancers. It's supposed to be this cute, funny thing but I don't think it shows much respect for the Hula dance or the hula dancer.
    In the 90s, I remember there was a Puka shell necklace fad. Most of my friends and I all wore them and anytime a surfer was seen or represented on T.V., they were wearing them too. That's the best example I have of a piece of Hawaiian culture seen on the mainland, though I'm sure there's plenty more examples out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Jess. Another question: now that our president is from Hawaii, has that turned national attention to Hawaii? I remember reading an article when Obama first came in office that talked about his "Aloha spirit" and credited his apparently laid-back attitude to his Hawaiian upbringing.

    ReplyDelete