Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dancing for a cause

Some universities use dance for a good cause and Penn State is one of the most well-known and successful every year. Penn State's Thon has become the thing to look forward to every year. It is a 48 hour dance marathon to raise money for kids with cancer One of my best friends is a senior a PSU and this is all she talks about as she is SO involved. This year her and a friend were raising money to be put in a raffle to be chosen to dance for 48 hours straight. There are SO many people that want to dance to that they have to raise at least $2,600 to be entered in the raffle and each $500 after that they get an extra ticket. My friend raised over $15,000 and still doesn't know if she will actually get to dance during the event. Program's like this that involve dance really show how much dance is integrated into our culture. To learn more about Thon here is a link http://www.thon.org/

2 comments:

  1. My sister is a freshman at PSU! And Kim is right! Thon is awesome. My sister has already become obsessed. It's a wonderful cause and a very fun night for PSU students to get involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to do a dance marathon. I don't know where I first heard about it, but I remember wanting to do it after the music video for the Jack's Mannequin song "Dark Blue." It's such a unique way to raise awareness for something.

    ReplyDelete