Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hula in Lilo & Stitch

One of the things I associate with hula is the Disney movie Lilo and Stitch. Even though the movie focuses on the friendship that develops between the two main characters, there are themes of Hawaiian culture in the film.

The movie even contains a hula scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAlnPIeiCY

I found a link that explains the movements that were used in the hula animation. So at least we know the dance steps in the film were accurate. http://www.huladancehq.com/how-to-do-the-lilo-and-stitch-hula-dance.html

Are there any other films or entertainment pieces that focus on a cultural dance? Are the dance and cultural elements within the piece accurate and to what extent? How do you feel about films that integrate a culture as a supplement to a storyline? Do you think it can add to a stereotype?

2 comments:

  1. When I was doing my presentation on hula, this movie didn't even come to my mind, but now that you mention it, it is a wonderful example. It definitely shows a large part of the Hawaiian culture in a simplistic way. Not to mention, I think this is a terrific movie. In response to your questions, I think that there are hundreds of movies that focus on cultural dance. Take Dirty Dancing Savannah Nights or even something like Beauty and the Beast and it's ballroom dancing scenes. I think dance is incorporated a whole lot more than we realize in modern culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so great! i just posted a "lilo and stitch" oriented blog too. it was immediately what i thought of, i thought it was a beautiful tribute to hawaii :) check out my article you'll definitely like it it's about the filmmakers influence in their story after staying in hawaii.

    ReplyDelete