Monday, February 14, 2011

Dance and Twitter

Over the past year, I have become active on the social network Twitter. I enjoy sharing my thoughts with others, finding people with similar interests and talking to them, and it is a great way to hear about the news or events around the country. While I mostly follow and talk to friends or people in the Syracuse network, I do follow some celebrities and organizations. I found an article about dancers using Twitter, which describes who tweets and why. I do follow So You Think You Can Dance, some of its choreographers, some of the dancers that have been on the show, and some ice skaters. While I don't interact with them, it is still interesting to see them as "real" people and read what is important to them.

What do you think about dancers or celebrities using Twitter? Does it make them more human and help the average person relate to the person on stage? Do you think they should respond to people who tweet at them? I'm very interested in feedback.

Here's the link to the article: http://dancemagazine.com/issues/February-2008/Dancing-in-the-Twittersphere

And on Twitter I am @kegluskin :-)

2 comments:

  1. I think you bring up a very interesting point. Celebrities using twitter definitely makes them more human. In the article I am presenting tomorrow for my reading report it discusses the term "glamour" in the sense of tension between intimacy and distance. Twitter allows people to become closer to celebrities through twitter but they are still unavailable for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I'd like to hear others weigh in on this topic as well. I'm thinking of giving a conference paper this fall on music groups who use YouTube dance videos and video responses as a way to create bonds with fans. This clearly relates. Does anyone else use twitter or read celebrity twitters?

    ReplyDelete