Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dance and Television Shows

Yesterday, when Amanda showed us the video of Carlton's dance scene on "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", it inspired me to look up other dance scenes in television shows. Don't worry, I'm not talking about Hannah Montana or anything like that. I looked into the shows we grew up with, shows with substance, meaning and good humor. I'm talking about shows of the '90s. Be careful, this post might induce a large amount of nostalgia. You've been warned.

Carlton's dance is probably by far, the most popular. It's what made his character so adorable. It was so simple and yet so eye-catching. It was fun to watch and for those who have tried, it's fun to imitate. Another enjoyable dance moment that I can watch over and over again from this show is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qcbmiNmBM in which Carlton and Will dance together as a performance, I think the storyline of it was to win a competition in order to get money to fly back to California after Carlton gambles and loses his money...I'm not entirely sure. Either way, both dances are simple, repetitive yet so enjoyable, you just want to get up and dance along with them.

Friends also has some good dance moments. The first one I will mention is "The Routine" which Ross and Monica perform as an attempt to be on TV for a New Year's Eve show. It's great because it's funny but even if it's fictional, it's neat how a brother-sister dance is portrayed (not very realistically in my case). Monica and Ross are synchronized in their moves that it works out and is great to watch. It can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc42WNcmXSU
Monica also has another good dance moment and it's one I can relate to. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITbvgWrobc4&feature=related. I can relate to this one, and I'm sure some of you can too, because when I'm all by myself and music is playing, I just have to get up and dance. There is no routine or choreography, I just have to move. I'll jump around my room like the fool that I am and just have fun dancing. It's the best stress reliever and mood booster there is.

Finally, my favorite "dance" is one that is done by Cory and Shawn (or Ben Savage and Rider Strong) in the show "Boy Meets World." As kids, I'm sure we all had some sort of secret thing we shared with friends. For some, it is a handshake, for some it is a dance, for Cory and Shawn it was both and for me, it was a secret language. In a happy moment between the two friends, they break out in a dance. It goes something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SED9PSQALA I love this because it seems so improvised and go-with-the-flow but is choreographed enough for both of them to participate in together. It also is a representation of friendship, dance is a way they bond and connect. Like the other dances aforementioned, this one is also funny and enjoyable to watch.

Are there any other dances from your favorite shows that you think are worthy of mentioning? Do you have a favorite television show dance scene? Reply, let the rest of us know about what you think are some great dances and dance scenes. I know I missed quite a few good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment