Wednesday, March 30, 2011

International Dance Day

I saw a link the other day that International Dance Day occurs every year on April 29. I did a little research, and I guess it's organized by the International Theatre Institute as a way to celebrate dance and appreciate the diversity and cultures around the world. April 29 was chosen to commemorate the birth of Jean-Georges Noverre, who founded modern day ballet.

The link to the ITI organization and short article about this day is here:
http://www.iti-worldwide.org/danceday.html

I am also a fan of So You Think You Can Dance, and I know they made July 31 National Dance Day. I guess that is for the U.S. and I didn't realize an International Day has existed for more than 20 years! Communities can organize their own events to commemorate and celebrate the day.

What are your opinions of having an International And National Day to celebrate and recognize dance?

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of an International and National dance day. I wish it was celebrated here in Syracuse. I think it would be a great way to expose close minded people to different types of dance. For example, when we learned the mexican dance in class and practiced with the other dance, it opened me up to an entirely different form of dance that I didn't necessarily think I would enjoy, however I did.

    Let's bring International dance day to class and celebrate it in our class.

    ReplyDelete