Sunday, March 6, 2011

The History of Cotillion

So we brought up the southern tradition of cotillion last class, and I actually participated in the event myself. That, however, was in the sixth grade, and in addition to being very hazy in my memory, I realized I don't know a whole lot about its history. A few blog posts and wikipedia articles later, I've discovered cotillion actually has its roots in 18th century France, where four couples would assemble in a square formation and perform routines according to an overseeing caller. (Sound familiar? I immediately thought of US square and line dancing, which also originated from European tradition, if I remember correctly).

Drawing on memory, my cotillion class assembled in two gigantic circles that wrapped around a vast ballroom; girls were in one circle, guys in the other, and we would rotate partners as the caller stood in the middle. So, clearly, the modern southern form has evolved from a four-piece square to something bigger, but the basic concept is still there.

So is the requirement of formal dress. I remember wearing a standard suit while girls wore dresses and white gloves. Turns out this style of dress is integral to the dance's name: "cotillion" originates from the French word "cotillon" (or "petticoat"), in reference to the flashy sways of gentlemen's suits as they turned while changing partners.

In its original inception, these dances were courting rituals, where young debutantes had the opportunity to interact with several potential spouses from wealthy families. Obviously, things have changed since then, so what purposes do you think these dances serve today?

3 comments:

  1. I also participated in cotillion starting in the 4th grade. I think, for me personally, they served as a way to learn manners and what society deems politeness. I know that we learned a lot about how to conduct ourselves in a formal setting, including things such as how to sit like a lady. I know you mentioned the young debutantes and how cotillion was their chance to interact with potential spouses. I think that this translates to today's society to because I remember cotillion was essentially the first time we learned how to properly "dance" with boys. I know it sounds cheesy, but when we started cotillion in the 4th grade it essentially led girls to grow up and look at boys in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I think the etiquette component, especially, was very important, as I don't think I would've learned "traditional" manners any other way. I remember, after the dances, groups of us would go out to dinner at fancy restaurants (usually according to who we carpooled with). At the time, I thought this was the parents' compensation for forcing us to do the dances. Now, I realize, going to fancy restaurants dressed in suits and formal dresses was just another way for them to slip us lessons in proper etiquette. Those sly adults...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never participated in cotillion (I'm from Connecticut) but was always curious about it. Even though times are different today, wealthy families seem to want to marry their children into other wealthy families. We've discussed the word "tradition" a lot and even if it isn't the case anymore maybe just because it is tradition for certain communities they like to keep it up. Also, if parents and grandparents went through cotillion, they're going to want to see their children and grandchildren to the same thing. This might be why the tradition carries on.

    ReplyDelete