Monday, March 7, 2011

Danceworks

I thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going about Danceworks this past weekend. I know that we have some people in Danceworks in class so I thought it would be interesting to get perspective from both an observer and a dancer. I've always enjoyed Danceworks a lot and thought this years performances were amazing! I liked that they mixed lyrical dances with hip hop dances and created a flow throughout the night. By breaking up the songs and creating a continuous flow of different beats and moves, the show almost seemed to be telling a story to its observers. One of my favorite dances was to Justin Beiber's Baby. Not only did the music allow for distinct phases in the performance, but also the use of the lights as props towards the end of the dance created an interesting illusion and another element to dancing. Which were your favorite dances? Did you observe anything during the performance that you could relate to something we've learned in class? I'm really interested to see what other people thought!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!

    Thanks for attending DanceWorks. I have been part of the organization since freshman year and this year was my last performance :(

    My favorite dance was The Scientist. I first of all love the song and really appreciated Emily's powerful choreography. I enjoyed the story she told of the lonely boy looking to find his mate amongst a sea of women.

    This years DanceWorks show had a bunch of great stories! Did you guys have a chance to attend??

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended the danceworks show and overall I think it was pretty good! My favorite dance was also The Scientist and I liked Upgrade You Remix. The Scientist was my favorite part because I really like how a story was told throughout the dance, which is something we talk about in class a lot. Another one i liked for the same reason was maniquins, it was a really cute story idea

    ReplyDelete