Monday, March 7, 2011

THON Follow Up

Last month I wrote about Penn State's Thon, the school's most anticipated event of the year where they annually raise money for children with cancer by dancing for 46 hours. This year the event raised over 9.5 million dollars. It is the largest student run philanthropy in the world. One of my best friends was one of the 708 dancers chosen to dance for 46 hours straight, no sleeping and no sitting were the rules. My friends and I sent her a package of goodies to keep her going through the night. I talked to her when the weekend was over and I don't think I have ever heard her as happy as she was.

It just amazes me how much of an influence dance has on our culture, and to be able to use it for something as beneficial as raising almost 10 million dollars for kids with cancer.

Here's an article for more information.
http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-thon-achieves-new-high-fundraising-increases-seen-throughout-664841/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim,

    So glad you posted a follow up! I can't believe how successful PSU was this year.

    My sister was part of THON also. Her and her sorority came in second for most money raised.

    Every couple of weeks, they take canning trips to raise money for their team. She traveled all across the East Coast asking for money. It's a really amazing event to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete