Sunday, May 1, 2011

Are Cirque Performers Dancers?

I have been reading a lot lately on different Cirque du Soleil shows. For example, the Michael Jackson one that is currently being put together, and the "Cirque Dreams" show that has a jungle-circus hybrid fantasy feel to it. This got me to thinking, are the performers that are hired to be in these Cirque du Soleil shows dancers? Or are they just flexible, acrobatic geniuses. Where is the line that separates a dancer from something else? Is there a line? Let me know your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. I think they are a combination of both. But I have a distinct feeling that a lot of the performers used to be dancers and it was a large part of their lives at one point. The way they move there is no way they have not had some kind of dance (maybe ballet?) training. And I think its interesting that you brought up the line between a dancer and non-dancer. I can't figure out where it is....

    ReplyDelete