Sunday, May 1, 2011

Decline of Dance & Theater Programs

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110307/NEWS/110307041/University-Nevada-Reno-announces-26M-proposed-budget-cuts?odyssey=nav%7Chead

The article above caught my eye because of the excerpt that mentioned that the University of Nevada-Reno, will be closing down the academic programs having to do with theater and dance. After reading this article, I thought about the academic programs offered at Syracuse. Maybe they still have dance and theater programs because Syracuse is a private school? It just goes to show that more needs to be done in order to preserve these programs. I feel like more people focus on preserving music programs in schools. But why not theater and dance?

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting thing to think about. I know those programs take a lot of funding but there has always been a debate about why sports programs typically receive more funding at schools. I think dance (and theater and music) programs are just as valuable. Also if schools think physical activity is what should be valued then it cant be legitimate to rule out dance. I love that Syracuse offers dance programs and I'm sure a large part of that is the fact is that its a private university.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is too bad that these programs get cut first. I think the reason music getsmore funding because the music industry is bigger then the dance industry and music has more applications then theater. I can see Syracuse cutting programs like this for budget reasons but luckily they haven't had to regardless of the economic down turn

    ReplyDelete