Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dance and Costumes

Here is a video I found that takes a look at the designers of the costumes for Black Swan. I thought it would spark an interesting discussion on the role of costume and attire in a dance performance. Do you think you are more attracted to a performance with clothes that you like? Do you think that if a costume was distracting or unappealing would you be more likely to dislike the performance?

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/01/27/movies/awardsseason/1248069592076/the-costumes-of-black-swan.html?ref=dancing

1 comment:

  1. I actually thought the costuming was the icing on the cake for Black Swan. The movement made sense to me and the opening night performance and its costuming was truly beautiful. I definitely think that people are more attracted to a performance with costuming that they like.

    I've seen So You Think You Can Dance performances where I haven't liked the costuming so much, but if the dance is performed extremely well then I'm much more likely to remember the dance than the costuming. I don't think it's a make-or-break factor.

    ReplyDelete