Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pop Ballet?

This article I found discusses the recent trend of creating ballets that are inspired by popular culture. It seems so odd but I would be really curious to see what the ballets were like. I also wonder if proponents of classic ballet are outraged by this. The article mentions something interesting- are ballet creators doing this out of creativity or for the money (an economic decision?) What are your thoughts?

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/With+music+Sarah+McLachlan+Alberta+Ballet+takes+another+giant+leap/4679620/story.html

1 comment:

  1. I think you raise a really interesting point. It's a good question whether they are doing it out of a creative desire or purely for a profit. I think that it is a little of both. I like that the industry sees the potential in using popular culture as inspiration so many directors are hoping on that bandwagon and creating dances off of this profitable trend.

    ReplyDelete