Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ballerina Project

I found this really interesting article online about a photographer, Dane Shitagi, who started a 10 year project called the Ballerina Project. I had never heard about it so decided to look into it. I turns out that his blog (http://ballerinaproject.tumblr.com/) has become an online sensation, gaining a lot of attention and a dedicated following. He has developed this project around shooting ballerina's against urban backdrops on NYC. Not only are the photos brilliant in my opinion but Dane brings up a lot of interesting opinions about the dance world in the article (see link below). He does not view his photos as trying to show dance through photos. Rather, his focus remains on telling a different point of view of the dancers.

"I don't think of what I'm doing as dance photography," Mr. Shitagi said. "You can't experience a glass of wine by looking at a picture of it; I think the same way about dance. I want to get them out of conventional settings to make the photograph more about them, their dreams, what they want to express."

At the end of the article, he also mentions the stereotypes that surround the dancing world and how media images, like Black Swan, perpetuate these stereotypes.

Check out the article and his blog. What are your thoughts?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703712504576245050167123440.html

3 comments:

  1. I think the blog is an original concept. I found the photo with the dancer in the subway car the most interesting, because I wouldn't associate something classy, such as ballet, with something grungy and urban, like the subway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really interesting and original. I've been studying photography for a long time and I think it's unique how he isn't trying to allow you to experience dance through the photographs, but to enhance the visuals it has to offer. Sometimes I wonder if other mediums can help to express dance in the same way that viewing dance does. How does viewing live dance change your experience from viewing dance on television or in a movie or even through a photograph? Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that they show the contrast of ballet with an urban lifestyle! The pictures are beautiful! I agree with Lauren, the picture with the dancer in the subway is the most interesting becuase you can truly see the difference in styles.

    ReplyDelete