Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Love Janelle Monae!

So yesterday in class we discussed the importance of challenging gender roles in music videos, and my mind immediately jumped to Janelle Monae. Granted, I've had an obsession with the R&B/nu-soul/hip hop/rock/classical/pop singer for a good year now, so I was going to post her music videos on here anyway. Because, all feminist criticism aside, this girl can dance!

But, as refreshing as her voice, talent, and moves are, it's even more refreshing to see an artist who focuses on the music as her main selling point--not her body. Instead of the typical sexualized clothing seen in pop, Monae's signature look is a full tuxedo and gravity-defying hairdo. She considers it her "uniform", but also stresses its importance as a message. As Monae says herself, "I feel like I have a responsibility to my community and other young girls to help redefine what it looks like to be a woman. I don't believe in men's wear or women's wear. I just like what I like."

You can see the look in her video for "Tightrope", a kickin' upbeat soul jammer. Since this is a dance class, LOOK AT THAT DANCING! Monae demonstrates what "tipping on the tightrope" is all about, and while it's not necessarily a dance everyone can follow (somewhere between a moonwalk-esque glide and the stanky leg), I dare you not to move to this. I also love how the video itself is about the power of dance as a form of rebellion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnefUaKCbc

Next is her video for "Cold War." We were talking in class about low budget music videos, and this would be one of them: it's all a single shot of Monae looking straight at the camera, lip synching the tune. What I love here is that Monae demonstrates the difference between intimacy and sexuality: before the song starts, we see her take off her cape and face the camera bare-shouldered, which she remains for the rest of the song. But the move isn't seductive; it's vulnerable. In fact, I found it somewhat uncomfortable to watch the video the first time because of the way she relentlessly LOOKS at you as she sings. Over the course of three minutes, she messes up her lip synching, laughs, grimaces, and ultimately ends up crying to the camera, all of which adds to the vulnerability that the opening undressing suggests. Such a simple visual forces you to listen to the lyrics, which are powerful enough. Who here hasn't at one time been able to relate to the declaration, "I was made to believe there's something wrong with me"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4&feature=relmfu

Have I plugged this artist enough?! Listen to her album "The Archandroid." You'll be sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment