Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Evolution of Social Dancing

After a recent newsfeed update on Facebook, I have been wondering about just how much social dance has evolved and changed through the years. I've been really thinking about just how different social dance is now compared to how it was even in our parent's or our grandparent's generation.

It all started on Sunday night, when the newsfeed on my Facebook blew up with pictures from the weekend college parties. The pictures ranged from group shots, to posed shots, to shots taken during the night. Some of the action shots showed the dancing that took place at these parties. I don't think I need to describe the dancing, but I will say that a lot of today's dancing consists largely of grinding. This is not just in the college setting either. School dances in both middle school and high school consist of grinding and full contact dancing. It's gotten to the point where my teachers in high school, and family members with younger children are left speechless at the things they see and hear about when they are told about how people dance these days.

When my grandparents were young, swing was the thing. They loved to swing dance. The energy and the movement made it fun for them. The different steps and variations always kept it interesting. It was mostly partner-dancing, holding on to one another to dance with and maintaining a frame. However, they could also dance alone if, for some reason, they weren't able to find a partner. There was also slow dancing, mostly using the box step, for the more romantic moments. It's funny, because during the '50s, some variations to swing dancing, especially dancing influenced by Rock 'n' Roll, were considered rebellious.

During my parents' teenage years, dance was more freestyle-based. The beat and the rhythm influenced the movements. Partner dancing didn't necessarily mean you had to hold on to your partner. My mom told me she frequently danced with a group of friends, or if she had someone to dance with, she would dance facing him but they didn't often hold onto each other, especially if the beat was faster. Slower songs brought about slow dancing which consisted holding on to someone while dancing in a circle. How someone danced depended on the beat of the music.

Through my years of middle and high school, I did all kinds of social dancing. One of my best friends knows how to swing dance, so he frequently took me out on the floor to swing dance no matter what kind of song was playing. I remember dancing to "Time of My Life" with another friend of mine, to imitate Johnny and Baby from Dirty Dancing (though we only did the step where when I stepped back, my friend stepped forward and vice versa). I also was one of the first to jump onto the floor when the electric slide, the Cotton-Eyed Joe, YMCA, or any other popular group dance came on the stereo. I slow danced at times. I danced with friends. I also danced alone. I guess I was a mix of both my parents and my grandparents.

Then there's today, where dancing consists of grinding, or jumping around, or moving your hips from side to side while lowering your body to the floor, or simply holding on to someone's neck to dance in a circle with. It's not such much about foot movement, or much movement at all. Movement of the hips is emphasized, and the rest of the body follows. Modern social dance is quite different from the dance days of the waltz, swing dancing, and even dances of the 80s.

My question is, why do you think today's dancing has become so sexualized? Or if you don't think that, how would you describe modern social dancing? What do you think has influenced such a dramatic change in social dance within the last 60 years? What has strong influence over how we dance today?

I don't think this post is very offensive or upsetting, but just in case, I'm sorry if I offend or upset anyone. That was not my intention. The thought has been in my head for a while so I wanted to see what everyone else had to say about the subject.


3 comments:

  1. I think you make some good points and bring up some excellent ideas to think about, especially as we think how dance has evolved over the years. It has always been a social activity, but I agree, it looks much different now then it did 10, 20, 50 years ago! I remember dancing in groups of people and bouncing along to the rhythm or doing the "directional" dances we've discussed like the cotton-eyed joe, Macarena, and YMCA.

    I agree that swing dancing and partner dancing are not as big today (except for slow dances) in party atmospheres (or I guess informal spaces). The questions you pose are good and I don't think there are any definite answers to describe why modern social dance has changed and become a bit more sexualized. I think one of the biggest influences is the music since popular music today has sexual lyrics and the songs have definite beats; people dance along to that. Compared to years ago,people probably danced along to the music of the decades-Beatles, Sinatra, disco, etc. We've discussed how dance and music are interrelated, so I guess the best answer I can give is that the music has influenced the way social dancing looks today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a lot of good questions and issues regarding how our generation's dancing style is so different from decades past. I agree with Karen that a lot of this has to do with the sexualized lyrics as well as online platforms such as youtube which allow music videos to be seen by more eyes than ever before. These videos are now becoming viral which I think taught our generation and those younger than us what the "cool" way to dance is.I think it will be really interesting to see where social dancing will go. What do you all think it will be like when we are adults? Will our kids dance like we dance? Will there be a re-birth of our parents' dance style?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about the same question in regards to music video. The music videos I loved in the 1980s were for the most part quite different from those Prof. MacPherson showed us the other day. Some of the female performers I remember from early MTV are Cyndi Lauper, Sade, Heart, the Eurythmics, all of which played strong roles. There were also a number of popular queer artists on MTV then, like Dead or Alive, who played with gender roles. The videos might have been at times sexy, but they weren't usually explicit. Music videos today are much more explicitly sexualized - but which came first? Explicit videos that influenced viewers? Or explicit dancing that influenced music video directors and choreographers? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete