Saturday, April 30, 2011

Glowsticking

So I found the following blog on "Glowsticking:" www.glowsticking.com
It is often performed/danced at raves along to electronic music (and of course, with glowsticks in hand). The first post discusses the importance of not promoting glowsticking in high school(s), and the second is just a video showing what glowsticking may look like. The first story in particular is quite interesting because it talks about how spreading the idea of glowsticking in high school(s) will hurt the culture and meaning behind glowsticking. The post also talks about how glowsticking has evolved as an underground dance form (similar to b-boying) and discusses the importance of preserving the "beloved dance and its culture." I'll post the two links below...what do you guys think of glowsticking? Would you consider it to be dance?

http://glowsticking.com/component/content/article/71-glowsticking-culture/106-should-we-spread-glowsticking-in-high-school.html

http://www.glowsticking.com/component/content/article/79-misc/326-new-video-from-east-coast-vets.html

2 comments:

  1. I think this can definitely be considered a dance. They are moving to music and simply using the glowsticks as props in their dance. I think it is interesting that they don't want to promote this dance in order to maintain the underground nature of the dance. Do you think that the dancers think the dance will become less authentic if made mainstream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely seen my share of glow sticking :) I think it should be considered a dance as well. I will say that I havent seen anything more thought put into the dance other then kids waving them around at waves but I still can appreciate it as an art form. I almost think it is better when kids take drugs and goes crazy with glow sticks. It is a really interesting way to communicate your high.

    ReplyDelete