Monday, April 11, 2011

Disco

In my article for the reading report, it discussed how some studios implement "discos" during international ballroom dancing classes. This was to pull away from the rules and regulations of ballroom dancing and to allow people not who may not be as comfortable dancing the opportunity to loosen up and dance. The author explained a "blurring of lines between dance and exercise" during these 30 minute periods where people would sometimes just run in place to the music. That pushed an image into my head of people at house parties who when a song comes on and they don't really know how to dance to it, they just kind of flail to the music. I'll admit, I've fallen victim to running in place and moving my arms while casually dancing. Why do you think people resort back to random movements when they do not know how to dance to the music? Instead of trying to legitimately dance, people just flail and constitute that as a form of dance.

1 comment:

  1. I think that people go back to what they are comfortable with when they don't know a dance or feel awkward and I guess it is this kind of movement that makes people feel comfortable enough to express themselves.

    ReplyDelete