Sunday, April 24, 2011

Todays Michael Jackson

During the research I did for my presentation last week about dance in music videos, I began to see the influence that artists in the 70's and 80's have had on todays pop stars such as Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Bieber, etc. The closest connection I came across what between Michael Jackson and Chris Brown. Their dance styles are extremely similar with quick explosive movements that mimic the beat of the song while always keeping their balance and staying in control. Brown often speaks about the influence MJ has had on his career and has been quoted saying " michael jackson is the reason I do music and why I am an entertainer". Brown has taken notes on more then just MJ's dance style. His costuming for his life performances and music videos draw from many themes from MJ's shows and videos. One of my favorite Chris Brown videos is "Gimme That". I didn't realize how similar it was to many of MJ's videos until I did research for this project. Check out how clearly MJ has influenced this video:

Smooth Criminal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWucYbAp8Lk


Gimme That:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yl-5FOZcr0

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your comparison of Michael Jackson's dancing to artists of today. Aside from his artistic influence, he's the only artist with a whole video game based solely around emulating his dance moves! He was a truly gifted performer and I think a strong influence for many musicians today and in the past. People can remember iconic performances he gave based on the never-before-seen dance moves he introduced into dance culture. I honestly can't think of another artist whose revolutionary dance moves can be linked to iconic performances that people still remember today.

    ReplyDelete