Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Feet

I don't know if any of you remember the animated movie that came out a few years ago called, Happy Feet. It's about a waddle of penguins that have a special gift of singing. The main character, Mumble, is unable to sing, but can certainly dance! Mumble is seen as a freak and is ousted by his family, which leads to an adventure of self-discovery. Although the plot line is relatively serious, there are some lighthearted jokes accompanied with song and dance numbers to make the movie enjoyable to people of all ages.

Here's a trailer I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAIpBSKJWXM

2 comments:

  1. I laughed when you said "relatively serious" I remember watching that movie and being surprised by how sad I was for most of it. However! The dancing was so fun and definitely a way for little Mumble to express himself and belong. I remember my mom saying (I have a 12 year old sister who we watched it with) she thought Mumble was a metaphor for children with disabilities who feel different. Dance can be a great way for everyone to do something that helps them fit in, belong, and express themselves especially when they struggle to express themselves the way everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Feet made me think of in class when we were talking about a national dance. A lot of us agreed that tap dance should be the national dance because it crosses boundaries. I think the movie shows how it would effect America. The movie itself brought so many people together and a lot of children got into tap dance because of the movie. I think just like in the movie, tap dance would catch on as a national dance.

    ReplyDelete