Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No Body Segments

After today's speaker in class, I went back to watch some music videos of the artists I'm listening to at the moment.

I want to focus on the artist Dev and her video for the song "Booty Bounce." Ironically, there's no booty bouncing in the video. I did notice that her full body is seen throughout the video and it's quickly cut with fast shots of her head/face, which humanizes her. There is no focus on her other body parts. Even the guys in the video are shown as a full body shot. All of the outfits Dev wears aren't suggestive. They just show off her eclectic style. She's doing her own thing and only talks to the camera in her close-up shots, but I don't think she's seducing the viewers by any means.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfUjM-vygI Warning: Your eyes may get dizzy.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched this video: I love it! It's similar to The Strokes video that I just posted (as far as it being more focused on camera techniques instead of dance). I also personally love how the song is called "Booty Bounce," which may give some people the idea that the video may be seductive and/or risque; however, it is the complete opposite. As you said, the only segmenting that is really shown in this video is of her face/head (which, as we learned today, humanizes her). The only thing that really isn't even the slightest bit seductive is the motion of her running her hand through her hair. There is no focus on any other part of her body, but rather the entire body in its entirety. Same goes for the males in the video - males and females are both treated on an equal plane in this video. Very cool vid!

    ReplyDelete