Sunday, April 10, 2011

Relay For Life and Dance

So last night, I attended Relay for Life and my friend and I were in charge of DJing the music in between showcased events. We were asked to play popular, upbeat tunes that everyone could recognize, which led to a lot of Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry mix sets. But, I found the biggest responses we got from the relay crowd (who were in no way obligated to dance or even acknowledge the stuff we were playing) were from those tunes that already had a dance built into it: the obligatory "Cha Cha Slide", the popular "Teach Me How to Dougie" (which I had somehow avoided until last night) and the irresistible "Cupid's Shuffle" (which got the biggest response of them all!).

I found it to be a great example of how dance unifies; more people were inclined to dance to a song that had a common and relatable set of instructions to it. In this way, dancers were participating in a culture that was widely understood by the people around them. More dancers were willing to "get low" when Flo Rida commanded them to than when Fergie boasted about her "boom boom pow."

Also, there was an hour long Zumba session that was one of the most widely-participated activities of the night (though, I might add, it was mostly girls. Kudos to the guys out there who weren't afraid to get a work out!). One of the sound guys remarked to me how the activity just looked like one giant line dance to him. This reminded me of how broad (and potentially vague) Zumba can be. Obviously, in this case, the movements were not as intricate so more people could partake in dancing. Do you think this is what makes a dance like "Cupid's Shuffle" popular? Can you think of any "complicated" dances that have been taken up by the general public?

3 comments:

  1. First off because I know there's another blog entry about this, I'm glad to hear such positive feedback about Relay for Life-I was on the planning committee and helped organize the logistics at the Dome and it was amazing watching everything come together and have a successful event.

    Chris-I had the same observations you did about watching people dance during the popular songs. Right after the Luminaria ceremony, which is one of the most important and emotional events at Relay, you started playing the dance songs and everyone went to the front by the stage and started dancing. I was in the back near the food and it was amazing watching everyone all dance together with so much energy at midnight; everyone was having a lot of fun! I unfortunately didn't have the chance to participate in Zumba because I was running around, but I heard that people who did had a lot of fun and it was a great way to help people keep their energy going throughout the night.

    Watching people all dance together really was powerful and showed that people from various organizations can still come together and be united for a common cause, which is what Relay for Life is all about. Everyone came together to fight for a cure for cancer, and it was great that dance could be involved in helping the community come together.

    And as to your question Chris, I agree that dances with moves that are easier to learn are more popular because everyone can follow along. People can do the basic moves or add in their own styles and feel comfortable participating. A "complicated" dance that comes to my mind is "Cotton Eyed Joe"; I know I have spent time teaching friends how to do the dance and while they improve thorughout the song, they may have not mastered it. Also, there are many versions of the dance, so people have to adjust the moves depending on what everyone else is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I don't think it's really the difficulty level of the movements that makes a dance popular to dance to in social events. It really depends.

    I think the song has a lot to do with a dance's popularity. I participated in the Zumba lesson at Relay and noticed that the more popular the song was, the more excited and eager the group became to dance to it.

    Also, I think friends have a lot to do with dancing to a group dance. The reason why I learned the "Cotton-Eyed Joe" or the Cha-Cha Slide were because my friends danced to them, so I wanted to join them. I wanted to do what my friends were doing.

    As a dancer, I've learned that "easy moves" are based on perception. I've been dancing for 13 years, but even I had some trouble doing some of the moves at Zumba and when I learned the "Cotton-Eyed Joe" seven years ago, it took me a while to get it down accurately. I also have friends who, no matter how hard they try, can't understand the "Cotton-Eyed Joe" but they still get out on the floor because they want to be with everyone else and feel like they're part of the action.

    So, it really does depend on the situation, the dance and the person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotcha! After all, we can't decree a universal law to popular dance. Much of what people participate in depends on the situation. And, to your point, I'm sure nobody knew what to expect from that Zumba dance ahead of time--and that got the biggest response of the night.

    ReplyDelete