Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One Man YMCA

While discussing some of the popular dances in queer club settings, I thought of a half time performance I've seen at basketball games.

This is Christopher, who does a one man performance, complete with props, of the Village People performing YMCA. It's funny and entertaining. I know it was one of my family's favorite halftime performances at professional NBA game while I was growing up.

What is your opinion of this? Is it considered dance? Is it promoting the same messages in the YMCA and making them acceptable or is it a mockery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pNpQ1bbBA

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

3 comments:

  1. I loved watching this and so did my mom! My grandma thought all 5 were real people, but her eyesight is bad, haha.

    I consider it a full dance performance. It was creative, original, and he gave it his all. It was entertaining and the crowd started to participate. I don't think it's a mockery, because the Village People were characters themselves and I feel Chris from Las Vegas was having fun while performing a tribute to the band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is so clever! I agree with Lauren, I totally think it's considered dance. He re-created the Village People the best he could, while entertaining the crowd and, in my opinion, staying true to the Village People's originality. It was creative and definitely not a mockery. The fact that he got the crowd to participate is great because they obviously enjoyed it and were not poking fun at the Village People. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video is definitely entertaining. I have actually seen this done before, I'm pretty sure it's not the same guy, but it has been done before. I don't think that this particular performance has anything to do with the message that the original song was trying to convey. However, I do not think that the dance performer was trying to make fun of or make a mockery of the original. I think, especially since it is one person doing the entire dance while being connected to 4 other puppets, this performance of the YMCA was done specifically for entertainment purposes.

    ReplyDelete