Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Middle School Dance Club

I went on a job interview this past week for a teaching position in a middle school. Eventually I would also like to coach cheerleading in addition to teaching, but currently in this district they already have a coach, so the principal asked if I would be interested in advising a middle school dance club. Of course I said yes (have to sell yourself!), so I got to thinking what I could do with the kids and possibly talk about if I get the job or in future job interviews. I decided it would be a good idea to ask you guys! What aspects of class did you like or think middle school students would like? Are there any particular forms of dances you think they might enjoying trying out? (Of course dances that are appropriate haha aka probably not Single Ladies for 6th graders) Also, different ways we could perhaps make it a little bit competitive for the kids since it would only be for their school.

Let me know what you guys think!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having an interview-I know that's hard to get. I'm also looking for teaching jobs right now, and it's definitely a difficult time!!

    As far as a dance club, I would expose the students to a variety of styles-hip hop, ballet, jazz, tap, Broadway, Ballroom, etc-give them a little taste of everything! I also think it would be fun to have you choreograph routines and teach to them-you can teach them elements of choreography as well as what a good performer looks like. Slowly, you can build up to having them create their own choreography and perform to each other!

    I'd be happy talking about this more with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a hip-hop or pop choreography is the best way to go. I remember when I was in High School Dance club we performed a dance to a popular Britney Spears song. And, all these years later I still remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas guys! In addition to those I thought some ballroom dancing would even be funny, but they might be too young. Then again, high schoolers would maybe take that to the next level- it could get a little racy haha. Definitely a little taste of everything would be good!

    ReplyDelete