Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Voice

Tonight I watched the premiere of The Voice on NBC. You should all tune into it next week! It was truly amazing. So much talent on one stage. The premise of The Voice is that contestants are selected based on their talent not their looks so every judge is turned around so they can only hear but not see the contestants. As the contestants sing for the judges, if the judges like it they can hit a button and turn around signaling a vote for that singer. I thought this was a wonderful contest! Instead of focusing on if the singer fit the overall look of their style of music or just the fit for a singer, they only listened to their talent and singing ability.

This forced me to think about dancing. Do dance shows on television only look at a dancer's talent? Or are judges forced to take into consider their overall look and body too? I think this could sway a judge's opinion. While it would be impossible for a judge to not look at a dancer while they're dancing, I wonder if dancers who were overweight or not deemed the right look or body should've made a dance show and didn't because of their appearance.

I really like the concept of this show. You should all definitely tune into it next week! While its not a dance show, it's about performance and I think it is wonderful!!!

Check out this clip.... I am obsessed with Jeff who sang God Bless The Broken Road... AMAZING!!

Thanks! http://southomer.com/entertainment/amazing-guy-jeff-sings-god-bless-the-broken-road-the-voice-blind-audition-video-preview-april-26-nbc-1972tv

2 comments:

  1. I watched this show too! I cant wait for this week's episode. The idea surrounding The Voice is unlike any that television viewers have been exposed to. The show also proves how much people base their opinion on looks. It forces the judges and those watching to go beyond their normal way of thinking.

    I agree with you in terms of dance shows. Are the judges really looking at how attractive or famous the dancer and their professional partner are? Or are they actually judging on the dance movements themselves? It would be great to have someone create a show like The Voice but for dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the show it was a really refreshing twist on reality show competitions. I also agree that though it would be impossible to translate the Voice into dance because you cannot hide the dancers appearance, it does raise the question whether body image is more of the equation in dance rather than music.

    ReplyDelete